Handgun participation requirements
Due to previous and current restrictions, we’re aware that licence holders were not able to attend and participate at shooting clubs during this time and may have been unable to meet participation requirements.
As a result, the Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police has issued a variation of conditions for all general category handgun licence holders who possess handguns for target shooting by reducing the number of shoots required for 2020 by 50 per cent.
This means that, effective immediately, annual participation requirements for general category handgun licence holders will be applied:
|Number of specified classes of handgun possessed, carried or used||Total number of handgun target shoots or matches (or combination of both) required for the participation year 2020|
In addition to the above requirements, general category handgun licence holders must meet the following conditions:
- The total number of shoots or matches must take place on at least 5 separate days; and
- Of the reduced number of matches or shoots, that the holder of the general category handgun licence is required to participate in for the 2020 calendar year –
- at least 3 must be approved handgun shooting matches; and
- at least 2 must be participated in for each specified class of handgun;
- participation may be either as a competitor, supervisor, competition judge or range officer but at least 3 must be participated in as a competitor.
The Notice of Variation and supporting information can be found on the Victoria Police website.